September 15, 2010

Love or Life

When I saw this contest, I knew I wanted to enter it. What I didn't expect was how hard it was going to be. I'm hoping a few more people might think they're up to the challenge in the next couple weeks.

Imagine being one of the Cullens, a vampire for decades, and suddenly, you find yourself human again. Not your mate, just you. What do you do? Do you take a few days to enjoy it and then go back to your family? Do you take the opportunity to live as you were meant to? Do you have children and grow old, forever remembering your life before? Do you step into the human world, only to discover that it holds nothing for you, and beg your family to take you back? The possibilities are endless. And so is the word limit! Minimum is 2000 but WannaBeEsme was expecting some of the entries to span several chapters.
Details on this contest can be found on the Twilighted forums: here but entries may be posted to Fanfiction.net or Livejournal as well.
Here are a couple exerpts from the two entries she has so far:

The Devil or the Deep Blue Sea
He sat next to me, and for the first time in the 20 years I’d known him I didn’t shirk away and wrinkle my nose.  I was starting to notice other things that frightened me as my shock wore off.  I was in pain.  I hadn’t experienced actual pain since I’d awakened from the fires of the conversion.  I felt a weird sensation on my face and brushed my hand against my cheek.  I held my shaking fingers in front of my eyes and saw wetness on them.  Tears.  I hadn’t cried in over 90 years, and now there were tears running from my eyes.
Without thinking about it, I flung myself into Jake’s arms.  He was familiar and I needed somebody to hold me together as my brain struggled to accept what had happened to me.
“I’m human, aren’t I?”
He arranged me in his lap so that he could hold my head to his shoulder.  “Yeah.”
“How?  What happened to me?”
I felt the shudder wrack through his massive frame and realized that as much as we mutually disliked each other on a normal basis, he had been genuinely terrified for me today.


"So…are you…going to stay human?" Bella asked the question on everyone's mind after a few moments of silence.
"I don't know," I said honestly.
Yes, this is my dream come true, but to stay human would most likely mean leaving my family. Being human would mean growing old. Being human, either meant carrying another man's child calling it Emmett's and mine's, or letting Emmett go and try living a human life fully, away from everyone. Even if I tried carrying Emmett's child it would either kill me in the end or I would have to change back to a vampire.
They started to talk in rushed words that I couldn't hear and I started to yawn and doze off. Soon I felt two strong and cold arms picking me up and I knew it was Emmett. Before I could open my eyes I heard our bedroom door shut and felt him setting me down on the bed. It was then I realized that he hasn't spoken one word since I got home.
"Emmett," I said quietly pulling at his arm as he sat beside me, "are you ok?" I asked sitting up. He just nodded in response closing his eyes and leaning into my touch as I ran my fingers through his soft curls. Even though I felt them this morning as a vampire and I thought they were soft, as a human they felt even softer to the touch.
I leaned forward to kiss him and noticed he wasn't breathing at all. I knew he didn't need air but it became a habit for all of us to breath because of our human charade.
"Em, what's wrong?" I asked confused. "I know I smell a bit from walking through the woods all day but still you don't have to hold your breath."
"It's not that," he replied quietly.
"What is it?"
"Your smell."
I knew what it meant. Yeah, we were able to be around humans. We know how to control ourselves. But for them to all really smell me for the first time, it had to be a bit difficult, because they're not used to it. But with me being a human there was a question that I was a bit afraid to ask, but I had to.
"Emmett, am I your singer?"
He just nodded to my question and I let out a soft 'oh' in response. Even with being his singer I trusted him with my life. I knew he wouldn't hurt me ever or make me change. But I know the pain in his throat would be burning every time he smelled me. The instinct to take my body would always be there and he would have to resist it for at least three days.

No comments: